The Towamba River is one of the (if not the)
fastest rising river in New South Wales.
The village of Towamba, situated on the south
side of the river has had three bridges built
at different times in its history. Originally
the river was crossed west of the village
over the river bed just below the police
station. An all weather crossing was desirable
as the gold fields opened up at Yambulla
and the road from the coast, through Towamba
and Pericoe and to the Yambulla gold fields
was the main route for the delivery of all
the needs of that growing township.
The first bridge was a high truss bridge opened in 1911. It was almost identical to the New Buildings bridge of today which was partly built from timber recovered from the Towamba bridge when it was washed away in the great flood of 1919.
A second low-level bridge was built to replace the first which was washed away but it didn't last as with each flood, sand built up against it and eventually was covered.
The third bridge, the one we have today, is at a medium level situated at a level below the first and above the second bridges.
This year, 2013 saw a new deck placed on the bridge. Work was interrupted several times due to floods early in 2012. In January of 2013, the last concrete slab was lowered on to the bridge replacing the old timber decking from the 1960s.
The photos below show the final slab being lowered on to the bridge.
New decking completed January, 2013.
Note remains of second bridge in the water on left.
|Towamba Bridge opening ceremony. 1911|
|Towamba's second bridge. 1947.
Towamba Store and hall in background. Photo courtesy of Bega Family Museum.