MAX. And it might be hard for you to believe, but there was this feller who lived down near us ('Log Farm') by the name of Hickson Hay and Craig & Mostyn had him employed, he was an aged person, about in his late fifties and they got him a horse to ride around and if there was a small wattle that wasn't growing straight, he had to put a stake down along side and tie it up so it would grow straight.
Such a contrast to what it is today.

MAX. Oh, yes. It was a crime to drop a wattle down in those days. "
*** Excerpt from Max Sawer's interview in 'The Forgotten Corner Interviews'.

Some strange and unusual events occurred in the district. These were carefully noted and duly printed to keep the public informed, bringing some excitement into their everyday lives.
Strange sightings and curious happenings from outside the district captured the reader's imagination so that over the years these events had the tendency to develop into myths.

November 15, 1895
Tin of young trout recently obtained by Mr. W. Grant of Wattle Hill... The fish, about 40 in number, were liberated in the Towamba River, near Mrs. Collins' residence, on the morning after their arrival.

February 19, 1897
A very strange animal was recently seen in the vicinity of Wyndham.... noise like the roaring bull.... strange animal proceeded from the thickset of the scrub.... a man or beast about 5 feet in height, it had arms like a man which appeared to be of great length. Its head was rather small and round, something like a monkey's. This curious affair travelled on two legs and appeared to be able to get along at a good pace..... It is said that several residents have seen it at various times.

'Pambula Voice' January 14, 1898
At about half past eight o'clock on Thursday evening last a meteor was observed to pass through the sky in a southerly direction. The heavens were lighted up for a few seconds with a bluish light which was followed by a low rumbling noise lasting for fully ten minutes. This phenomenon caused no small amount of alarm in the locality.

July 6, 1899
'Delegate Argus and Border Post'
Peculiar Gun Accident. - A lad named James Ryan, 17 years of age, being a State-school boy in the service of Mr. William McCloy of Narrabarba, was brought to the Eden-Pambula District Cottage Hospital on Sunday afternoon, and admitted as a patient to same. It is stated that the youth was out shooting on Saturday afternoon, and upon returning home was about to extract the charge from the gun (a muzzle-loader); he got the shot out all right, but the powder had become damp and stuck. After trying various methods in vain, Ryan put the nipple of the gun in the fire, and as that did not have immediate effect he foolishly put the barrel to his mouth and blew down it. The powder ignited at that moment, and was discharged into Ryan's mouth, burning and lacerating it terribly, and rendering him incapable of swallowing food or liquid. On arrival at the Hospital the sufferer's injuries were attended to by Dr. Morgan, who administered food by means of a tube. The patient is now doing splendidly.

'Pambula Voice' February 22, 1900
Mr. Oliver, Commissioner for the Federal Capital site, came to Eden last week and after inspecting the harbour he started on a second visit to Bombala, via Towamba and Bondi, accompanied by the Eden Progress Association, (Mr. Phillips).

'Pambula Voice' December 7, 1900
During the terrific thunderstorm on Friday, Mrs. Chas.Galli of Bega, a sister of Mr. Love of Towamba, was struck by lightning and killed instantly. Seven small children mourn the loss of a mother. The flash struck terror in the hearts of most people. The chimney of the house was split.

January 18, 1901
'Pambula Voice'

* Now that that scourge of horses, the bot fly, is beginning to make its presence felt in the district it may be of some interest to some of your readers to know that an old resident of Victoria states in the district where he resides, a simple and effective preventative was found for the ravages of this pest by applying grease under the lower jaw and under the flanks of animal. He states that in no case would a fly attempt to deposit its eggs upon an animal so treated.

August 2, 1901

* On Sunday the inhabitants were surprised to see snow on all the hills around. It is bitterly cold.

August 26, 1901
'The Sydney Morning Herald'

* Mr. Blackstone, a commercial traveller, well known on the South Coast, had an exciting experience yesterday evening. While attempting to cross the Nullica River, which was in flood, his horses and coach got into deep water, and were swept down the stream. The driver, whose name is Corrigan, cut loose one horse, but the horse attached to the coach drifted down the river and was drowned. Mr. Corrigan reached land. Mr. Blackstone dived from the coach into the river, and was swept for some distance by the current, which ultimately carried him near a log projecting from a bank, which he grasped and retained hold of till rescued by Mr. Corrigan.

March 29, 1909
* It is currently reported that a Burragate resident intends to speculate by the purchase of a motor car.

September 29, 1911
'South Coast Times and Wollongong Argus'

* One day last week Mr. W. Scanes, of this town, in severing a potato (for seeding purposes, discovered in the centre of that esculent, like a toad is found in the rock, an insect about a third of an inch in length, proportionally constructed, of a bright copper color, and somewhat resembling a weevil. There was no trace of where it made its ingress.

July 12, 1913
'The Sydney Morning Herald'

* A bronze medal was awarded to Robert James Goward, of Kiah River, N.S.W., aged 22 years, for rescue work in Lower Lake, Mallacoota (Vic), on January 4 last.

Wednesday, 6 October 1920
'The Sydney Morning Herald'

On the morning of last Friday week, September 24, William Parker, a former resident of Towamba,- essayed to travel on foot about eight miles across thick bush country from Nethercote to the Eden-Towamba road on his way to Towamba. Not arriving at his destination within reasonable time, inquiries were made throughout the district without satisfactory result. Search parties were organised, as many as 40 persons scouring the bush for several successive days without being able to trace his whereabouts. Yesterday the search was given up as futile. All hope of discovering the missing man alive was abandoned. This morning, however, Mr. Tom Hite, sawmiller, of Towamba, was drawing logs some miles out In the Jingera Ranges when he saw staggering towards him a man who proved to be Parker. He, it seems, had despairingly sunk down exhausted the night before, but the next day, hearing timber-getters in the vicinity, had struggled to his feet and staggered forward, with his last remaining strength, about 60 yards to reach them. His appearance was wretched in the extreme. Lost and foodless for 11 days, weakened and worn out by almost incessant walking through rough and mountainous bush country, he was reduced to a walking skeleton. His face and body were terribly lacerated, and most of his clothes were torn off as the result of forcing his way through dense jungle scrub, which left him almost nude. After drinking some hot tea and eating lightly he revived, and later was taken to Towamba, where his relatives reside. He is well known throughout the district, and is 65 years of age.

September 12 ,1927
'The Sydney Morning Herald'
* Yesterday John Maxwell Dorron, aged 14 years son of Mr. and Mrs. A J Dorron, of Kiah River was found dead shot through the body, a shot gun lying along side him. He went out early in the afternoon, taking a dog and a gun. The return of the dog alone a few hours later occasioned concern, and a search was instituted. Late at night the body was found near a log in the creek in Whelans Swamp. Marks discovered indicated that the lad had attempted to cross by stepping on the log, but slipped and fell, the hammer of the gun striking the log and discharging the firearm with fatal result. At a coroners inquest a verdict of death by accident was returned.

October 13, 1927
'Morning Bulletin'

While riding a horse across the lower ford on the Kiah River, near Eden, Norman Severs was attacked by a shark in midstream. The tide was high, and the horse was nearly swimming when a huge shark came close to the horse's head. The monster turned to make for the animal's leg. The horse became frantic, threw Severs off, and swam for all speed to the shore. The commotion evidently frightened the shark, which made no further attacks.

June 19, 1929
'The World's News'
A Motley Crew

* In a recent flood a haystack floated down the Towamba (N.S.W.) River towards the sea. On it were fowls, rabbits, hares, snakes, and a couple of cats all huddled together. As it passed down the river its crew was added to by other rabbits, etc., which were clinging desperately to partly submerged logs and trees.
Thousands of beetles and spiders of all descriptions were swarming everywhere over it, and though many of the animals on the haystack in normal times were deadly enemies, they made no attempt to attack each other.-Eureka.

'Magnet' August 3, 1929
* Grass gum getters at Nadgie. Gum used in the manufacture of high explosives

'Magnet' August 17, 1929
A photo of Mr. H. Richards of Towamba, who was a Police Constable at Jerilderie when Ned Kelly and his gang held up the bank of New South Wales there in 1879 appeared in Tuesday's 'Sun'. Mr. Richards has not enjoyed the best health of late and recently consulted city specialists.

'Magnet' October 1929
* Long haired rabbit caught at Towamba at 'Restalrig'.

'Magnet' February 1, 1930

In connection to the reported existence at Bournda of indications of oil, we have received from Mr. George D. Meudell, Chairman of the Petroleum Association, 7 St.James Building, 135 William Street, Melbourne C1, a letter which reads as follows:
It has recently been reported to me by one of the leading oil men interested in the search for petroleum in Australia, that there are indications of oil at Bournda, near Bega. Having been connected with the quest for oil in Australia for twenty-eight years, I read a report on this likely oil area by Mr. H. Hooke of Sydney, and agree with his deductions which corroborate those of the late Reverend W. B. Clark in 1878, whose books on the geology of New South Wales I have studied. It is a matter of such great public importance to find oil in the Commonwealth that I make no apology for offering to help to have Bournda oil occurrence investigated.
Yours etc.,
George D. Meudell, Chairman Petroleum Association, established 1914.

'Magnet' March 29, 1930
* The Shire engineer, Mr. Hinley, considers that the Towamba - Eden Road is now the best in the Imlay Shire.
* "The Kelly Gang's holdup of Jerilderie is described in a current "Life" Magazine. Constable Richards, who with Constable Devine was captured by the gang, is living at Towamba."

'Magnet' April 12, 1930
* Mr. Oscar Love has been through a grueling experience when some weeks ago a fire broke out near Indigo, he went to give assistance. After the fire was beaten, he, with some other young men, went for a swim to cool off. A few days later, he became very ill and the doctor informed him he was fortunate in not losing his life after such an act. After spending a couple of weeks in bed having careful attention, he is now well on the way to recovery. Curiously enough the other young fellows suffered no ill effects.
* Mr. Norman Easterbrook who recently spent a fortnight's holiday with his aunt at Pericoe House, had rather, for a city lad, a frightening experience. Leaving Bombala on a push bike, he rode until dark overtook him. As night came on he looked for shelter. At last he caught sight of a hollow log and so crawled into that. He missed the rain but the wind came through and made the occupant shiver. To make matters worse, he could not move from one side to the other. However, a fine morning followed such a hectic night and Mr. Easterbrook continuing, missed the Pericoe Road and went to Nungatta where he had breakfast with Mr. Napier. No doubt, Mr. Easterbrook who is in one the Northern suburbs' Boy Scouts associations, would have many thrilling tales to enrapture his boy friends when they meet again.

'Magnet' June 14, 1930

Children at the Nullica River settlement have been scared and excited by the appearance in proximity to their homes of a strange animal, brown in colour, much larger than the average cattle dog, and resembling a monkey in shape. That, at least, is the description given of it by Tommy Bobbin, the biggest of the two boys who have seen it. He has seen it on several occasions, once at a distance of only a few feet. The first time he saw it, the animal was sitting up in a gorilla-like attitude with what appeared to be a stick in one of its hands. Terrified, but brave, Tommy threw at it a cob of corn which he was eating. Thereupon, the horrible looking creature disappeared into the scrub. Subsequently, it was seen by other children and they ran homewards screaming hysterically. All attempts to convince the children that the animal may have been a strange dog are scouted by the children, some of whom at least are old enough to know the difference between a monkey and a dog. The parents so far, have not sighted the animal, the identity of which, is so far, a complete mystery.

'Magnet' June 28, 1930
Describing a huge sea serpent seen by a launch party of fishermen off Bellambi, Roy Wiley says, "We got within twenty feet of the object when the monster raised its head and about four feet of its neck out of the water. Its fins, which projected from its shoulders, were fully three feet high. The colour was between brown and black with white stomach. It had a beak something like that of a pelican and its mouth, when fully open, was easily big enough to swallow a man or a full size boat. When it rose out of the water it wriggled like a snake, it roared like a seal, only louder, and we saw for an instant about twenty-five feet of its body.

'Magnet' August 16, 1930

The sea serpent is reported to have been sighted off the Queensland coast. This may be a mistake as the animal which some scientists now supposed to be an amphibian has (it is more or less reliably stated) been observed cruising leisurely to the southward in the direction of its antediluvian home, Eden. Ladies, look out!

'Magnet' August 30, 1930
(Excerpt from the "Voice")
Since last report, extensive researches and testing for petroleum oil have been carried out on the area in question by Mr.Wm. Dowling. Several distinct organic seepages have been located and by simple tests made with a crude home-made plant has proved the country to contain a quantity of crude oil which is strong presumptive evidence that deposits of oil should be found by boring. Samples have been taken and forwarded to Sydney for analysis which is now being carried out and a much higher extraction is expected. From all parts of the district, Melbourne and Sydney, people are visiting the locality while persons who have had vast experience of oil-bearing country in other parts of the world are very favourably impressed with the prospects. Keen enthusiasm increases on the future of this field for oil. Samples sent to Sydney from organic seepages prove to contain free crude oil. The organic matter exudes from the cliffs in the form of sludgy, irony, oily looking substance. From information, the oil clays carry a large quantity of crude oil with enormous gas results. A further extraction of crude oil, approximately one quart being very superior to that extracted with the home-made plant. It is reported that a Melbourne syndicate is on the eve of putting Bournda Oil into a very large company to thoroughly test the area by deep boring. The proposition should be well supported as nature's evidence is very pronounced and probably the only place of its kind known in Australia.

September 18, 1930
'The Argus'
More Than 100 Years of Age

* "Old Tom," king of the Twofold Bay killer whales, and the last of his tribe, is dead. For more than a100 years he and his mates, who at one time numbered 30, gave invaluable service to industry by intercepting whales on their way north, driving them into Twofold Bay, and keeping them there until they were killed by the whalers. It is said that "Old Tom" invariably went to the river mouth and, attracted the attention of the whalers to a capture by lashing the water with his huge tail.
A week ago "Old Tom" killed a grampus at Leonard's Island, and, was seen disporting himself with joy, but this morning, impelled by a breeze and the tide, his dead body drifted into Twofold Bay.
Arrangements are in hand to have "Old Tom's" skeleton set up at the whaling station at Kiah River.

'Magnet' September 20, 1930

From London "Morning Post" we take the following related to important discoveries and successes in the treatment of the world-wide scourge of Rheumatism.
Rheumatism has been spoken of by Sir George Newman and the Ministry of Health as one of the most terrible scourges to which England is subjected today.
Certain varieties of Rheumatism crippling in childhood, heart disease and early death. Other forms attack the middle-aged and the old in cases that run into hundreds of thousands. Nothing can be done. The patients remain bedridden until death ends their suffering.
Recent work at St.Bartholomew's Hospital has shown that certain forms of these cases that have resisted all treatment can be cured and that many cases which cannot be definitely cured can be very greatly alleviated.
The medical profession admits that it knows little of the causes of the various forms of Rheumatism. It does know, however, that Rheumatism may be the result, and often is the result, of infection in very deep seated organisms. A tooth that is apparently perfectly sound may contain beneath its roots a disease and that tooth is acting day by day as a hypodermic syringe injecting into the blood stream a poison far more dangerous than cocaine.
The great drainage system of the body is another very great offender and those tissues that act as the guardian to this avenue, the tonsils, are capable of causing Rheumatism or Arthritis as the medical profession prefers to call, it in such far distant parts as the knee or the ankle.
Within recent years diathermy has become a new weapon at the disposal of the physicians. It can be used locally and the arrangements are such that the temperature of the damaged joint can be raised. The rising blood temperature acts directly by inducing a rapid flow of nature's finest antiseptic, blood, to the damaged part; the pain is relieved and in most cases complete recovery is effected.
Work on diathermy at St.Bartholomew's Hospital has resulted in two discoveries of very great importance which have hitherto not been published. It has been found that deep seated organisms in the pelvic region may be infected with bacteria that are particularly susceptible to heat. Diathermy, which means essentially an application of heat to the exact part which the physician wished to reach, eliminated the microbe just as effectively as the dental surgeon is able to remove the diseased tooth that may be causing similar disastrous effects. This is only one side of the question. Evidence is accumulating that arthritis may, in certain cases, be due to a defect of certain endrocene secretions; the failing glands are stimulated by the electric current. The secretions are restored and released in the body and experiment has shown that the local manifestations in the form of painful immovable joints with neuritis, with sciatica, with the host of Protean diseases classed under the name of Rheumatism disappear.

'Magnet' September 20, 1930

Are the present immense developments in science going to release forces over which we shall lose control? It all depends on the use we make of science. None of us wish to see a moratorium in science. The facts of science are giving us a deeper realisation of the fundamental principles of life than we have ever had before. The world is being given, by the Powers that be, hitherto hidden knowledge of natural forces that may be a God-sent offering. Where we utilise them wisely we may enter a period of light. Should we not use them wisely we shall have a return to the dark ages, a decent into luxury and sensuality. If we prostitute our scientific discoveries to ignoble ends, if we do not use them for humanity, for brotherhood , Powers will cast a veil over these discoveries. If we are unable to restrain ourselves from war and are going to utilise science for the purpose of making war all the more terrible, then a merciful Providence will take away the powers we have. That is why the power within the atom is not released to us. We are so unfit to deal with it that science stops short. Keeley did wonderful things with the release of atomic power but that faculty soon left him and no one else has been able to conquer it. We must utilise any power we have to the most humanising advantage. It must be used for righteousness otherwise we shall be plunged into darkness.

'Magnet' October 18, 1930
The Reverend Mr.Campbell wrote thanking Council for permission to prosecute the search on the road for continuation of the recently discovered deposit of Verd Antique Porphyry and stating that any mining operations would of course be in conformity with the requirements of the Mines Department.

'Magnet' November 1, 1930
Mr. W. Turnbull, a Wollongong broker, is now busily engaged in placing in the Bega District, shares in Bournda Oilfield (N.L.) The shares are 10/- each subscribed at 1/- per share on application, 1/- on allotment and 1/- per share as required. Thousands of shares have been applied for through Mr. Turnbull and it is expected that the Company will soon go to registration and boring operations begin early in the New Year.

'Magnet' November 22, 1930
A sea serpent is stated to have been seen of Narrabeen by Mr. & Mrs. Parrington who at first took it to be the mast of a ship. That impression was quickly dispelled by observation with field glasses. The serpent was about seventy feet long with a tail resembling an eel.

'Magnet' December 6, 1930
The giant caterpillar found recently on a honeysuckle tree in the State plantation at Broadwater by Mr. C. Gandon has been forwarded by the local forest officer, Mr. B. Pigott, to the Forestry Commission as an entomological specimen for identification. Tentatively Mr. Pigott is disposed to place it as a Banksia Iongicorn and either an outsize of the Paraplites Australia or another variety altogether.

'Magnet' December 20, 1930

With reference to the giant caterpillar found at Broadwater plantation by Mr. C.Gandon and forwarded by Mr. B.Pigott, forest officer, to the Forestry Commission for identification, Mr.Pigott has received from the secretary to the Commission a letter which advises as follows:
"Dear Sir, I have to inform you that the Government Entomologist has advised that the larva forwarded by you on the first instant for identification is the caterpillar of a Hawk Moth (Coequosa australasiae). Hawk moths, comprising the moth family Sphingidae. C. Australasiae, in the adult form is a large moth measuring up to seven inches across the outstretched wings. The stout wings are narrow and pointed whilst the general body colour is a light buff or fawn colour. Usually the larvae feed upon the foliage of wattles (acacia spp.) and geebungs (Persoonia spp.). When full grown they pupate in the rubbish at the base of the tree trunks. The larvae are not regarded as pests of any of our native or introduced trees."

Many Hawk Moth caterpillars are easily recognised by the dorsal horn on the last segment. It looks quite dangerous, but is quite harmless.
Many of the Caterpillars are brightly coloured, with diagonal stripes and eyespots. The caterpillars grow to a length of 5 cms. or more.
When disturbed, they commonly rear up with their anterior segments arched and their head facing the disturbance.
The scientific name of the family is derived from this sphinx-like posture.

'Magnet' January 3, 1931

* Making paper from bracken fern.

'Magnet' January 24, 1931
* Strange animal seen on Nerrigundah Mountain, "brindly looking, the colour of a dingo but with a very big head."

'Magnet' June 27, 1931
* The travelling public declares that the road between Towamba and Eden is the best in the shire........

'Magnet' July 4, 1931
* Mr. Peter Sawers had a narrow escape from death, or at least serious injury on Friday last, returning from Wyndham on his motorbike, swerving to pass a car when his bike skidded and smashed into a tree. Peter was thrown heavily against the tree and lost consciousness. The car continued on its way without waiting to see how things were with the fallen man. Regaining consciousness an hour or so later, Peter was able to walk four miles home and after dressing the bruises and scratches, walked another five miles to 'Sheepskin'. That's how we reared them out here this week.

'The Grenfell Record and Lochlan District Advertiser'
13th June 1935.
We have heard of Scotland's national music, the bagpipes, scaring people away who did not appreciate what our friend Hector McKenzie would describe as real music; but now comes the story that the playing of the bagpipes brought from its lair what is claimed to be the Tantawanglo tiger, seen on various occasions by people out in that locality. It happened this way: Young Mr. Kemp, of Bald Hills, Pambula, was visiting Mr. Grahame and family, who are dairying on the Kameruka Estate of Niagra, and he brought his pipes with him. A night or two before several fowls had been taken, and two of the domestic cats had also disappeared. It was thought that a fox was responsible. Anyhow, the other night Mr. Kemp was entertaining the family with the bagpipes when a noise was heard outside. The men folk rushed out, one armed with a gun, and something was seen to run into an outhouse. The door was promptly slammed, and then it was found that the intruder was an immense tiger cat, stated to have been several feet long from nose to tip of tail. It was promptly despatched. Was it the animal that others have taken to be a tiger, and was it the bagpipes or the fowl yard that attracted it? Whichever it was it was fatal to the cat, and that is all that really matters. Music is believed to entice snakes out, and perhaps the pipes led the tiger cat to its doom. - 'Bega District News.'

* Mr. Earle Britten saw on the south slope of Mr. Harriet an animal, striped and resembling a tiger.

'Magnet' October 3, 1931
* While bringing a load of timber from their saw mill to Towamba, the Hite brothers met with a very nasty accident. In the descent of Mt. Indigo the brakes and gears of the lorry failed to work and the vehicle crashed into a large stump. Both occupants were much cut about and badly shaken but fortunately escaped more serious injury. They were able to walk the seven miles to Pericoe for assistance. The truck was damaged considerably.

'Magnet' November 28, 1931
* 'Tantawanglo' was 'Tanglo Angle'
* 'Candelo' was 'Candalo' - the Imlay Brothers' residence.

'Magnet' May 14, 1932
Daisy Irene Myrtle Jones and William Edward Jones... Charles Alfred Whitby was married to Daisy Irene and was a labourer residing at Towamba. They had separated 10 - 11 years ago. She had reported him as dead and married again. He appeared alive and well and caused an upset for Daisy Irene.
* Rocky Hall was referred to as 'Rocky Orr'.
* There was a member of the New Guard (Capt. De Groot's New Guard) living at Pericoe.

'Magnet' May 28, 1932
* Booth Bros. Had a eucalyptus distillery near Towamba for a considerable time, some years ago.
* Bracken fern for paper making.

The Bombala Times Friday 19 August 1932
The 'Tantawanglo Tiger.'

On Tuesday of last week Mr. W. G. Newport, who is employed by Imlay Shire Council, while cleaning drains opposite Crawley's property at Whipstick, near Wyndham, had an exciting few minutes. He heard a great growl some distance away, and on looking up saw at first sight what appeared to be a wallaby coming through some high ferns, but when it came into the open ground he observed it was a large tiger with a rabbit in its mouth. It came on to the road about 60 yards away, dropped the rabbit and set its eyes on Mr. Newport, who saw the cat like face and big yellow stripes. Mr. Newport had his axe as the only means of defence, but luckily after letting out another growl the animal picked up the rabbit and trotted off towards the old Jingera mines, much to the relief of Mr. Newport, who made a hasty retreat from the locality in case the animal returned. During the past two years several residents of Tantawanglo have observed this animal in the mountain country, and it has become famous as the 'Tantawanglo Tiger,' and Mr. Newport can vouch the truth that it is a tiger without a doubt. Pambula Voice.

'Magnet' August 20, 1932
* Snow seen on Mt. Jingera

'Magnet' September 3, 1932
The Great What-is-it? Seen Near Wonboyn
The experience of a motoring party coming into Wonboyn suggests the possibility of the Tantawanglo Tiger having decided to visit the coast in the vicinity of the Wonboyn. As the car in question rounded a bend in the road and threw its headlights along a straight section of the track, a large animal of a bright tawny colour was seen to move away from the roadside. By swerving the car slightly the driver brought the creature again within range of the brilliant headlights. The animal was about five feet in length, standing much higher than an ordinary dog. Its eyes reflected a distinctly green glow, a marked feature in carnivorous animals. It had short ears, somewhat blunt headed and very muscular neck and shoulders. When it again moved out of vision its action was more smooth and sinuous than dog-like.
The writer visited the spot today and examined the tracks, being perfectly fresh they were easily distinguished. The pugs of the foot were very much larger than those of an ordinary dog, with well developed claws. The footprints in the earth, evidence that they had been made by an animal of some weight. Attempts are being made to trap or poison this unwelcome visitant and results are being waited with very great interest indeed.

Canis Familiaris, Dingo
(Dog, Wild Dog, Warrigal)

'Magnet' September 17, 1932
Terrifying Tiger
The Wonboyn Warrigal
The wild and ferocious looking animal seen recently under the powerful lights of a tourist's car near Wonboyn Lake and suspected of being a feline beast of the jungle, was closely tracked and by the agency of a carefully prepared bait became in due course a fit and proper subject for a post-mortum exam. It proved to be an exceptionally large wolfish-looking warrigal, the greatest of the genus canis australis whose size and apparent strength were so super normal as to excite curiosity as to its identity, a not unnatural fear of its carnivorous capabilities and a fixed determination to ensure its capture or destruction. Its appearance is an amply sufficient to emphasise to amplify the fact that well grown specimens of the East Coast warrigal attain a dangerously large size and are so powerful as to be a serious menace to stock without the admixture of Alsatians or other large breeds of canine blood.
This creature proved to be a bright redish-yellow male warrigal. As it lay in rigor mortis it measured five feet ten inches from nose to extended hind foot. Its weight was 63lbs. Its skin has been preserved and may be inspected at the Magnet Newspaper Office, Eden where it is on public view.
The method employed to poison this animal was the drawing of a trail by hanging a drag behind a car which was driven each day for a distance of six miles. In the make-up of the drag, fish, rabbit, part of a sheep skin and a shin of beef were used. The car was run some distance along an old bush track to where there was the skeleton of a dead beast. The drags were then tied up out of reach on small trees without anyone alighting from the car. Two bullocks horns have been filled with raw suet, the strychnine being inserted under the surface in several layers as the suet was packed in. The horns were thrown near the skeleton. The scheme was completely successful. The warrigal, attracted by the perfume of the out-of-reach dainties devoted his attention to the tit-bits lying on the ground. Having a sweet tooth for suet, he gnawed off about two inches of one horn, picked the other one up and carried it about twenty-five yards away where he was found lying dead.
The finders invite any of the "Magnet' readers who own large dogs, to put him on the scales and try him out for inclusion in the heavyweight class against the 'Wonboyn Warrigal'.

'Magnet' October 1932
To grow big marrows place a small dish near the half grown specimen, fill the dish with water and a fair amount of sugar. A slit is made in the stem behind the pumpkin and a strand of wool or a narrow strip of flannel is passed through the slit in the stem while the other end lies in the liquid. Resupply the liquid as it is absorbed.

'Magnet' August 19, 1933.
5000 to Towamba
Towamba, a little township 20 miles west from Eden was fairly in the limelight on Monday last when it became know that the ticket winning first prize in the 146th State lottery was held by Mrs. E. I. Parker of Towamba Post Office. Mrs. Parker was apprised of her good luck by a message from the 'Sydney Sun' newspaper and in reply to an inquiry as to what she planned to do with the money, stated that she intended to visit all the state capitals by air. Owing to the publication of this statement by the 'Sun', Mrs. Parker has been deluged with offers of aeroplanes. One enterprising proprietor offered to lend her his star pilot for a fortnight of her intended tour. The offer has not yet been accepted. To the 'Magnet' Mrs. Parker said that contrary to newspaper reports it had not been her life's ambition to own an aeroplane and that she did not propose to become the owner of one. Never in the history of Towamba has there been such excitement as prevailed when the news of the win was released. Work was incontinently suspended for the day and great was the rush to the Post Office to offer to the winner of the 5000 most hearty congratulations and good wishes. So improbable seemed the news that it was difficult to realise that fortune had smiled upon a lady in this little country town. Mrs. Parker was perhaps the least excited of all who heard the glad news. Her husband was for some time incredulous but their three sons had no time for skepticism had made no secret of their delight in their mother's success. Mrs. Parker named her ticket 'Lift Me Up' and strangely enough the injunction was heeded by the goddess of chance. Apropos of this it may be mentioned that among the shoals of letters she has received is one which stated that the writer's ticket number was but three off the winning one and that the writer had named it 'Put Me Down'.
Mrs. Parker states that she has not yet decided what her plans for the future will be, but that she intends to very shortly entertain the people of Towamba at a dance and the children with afternoon games and tea.

'Magnet' July 14, 1934

Quite recently on June 27, a party of Wingham residents left their town by motor car on a round tour via the South Coast and Western Districts. The trip is pleasingly described in the "Wingham Chronicle" and we take the liberty of reproducing that portion of it relating to the South Coast. Mr. C. R. Chapman is the writer and thus he tells the tale.
"The party motored as far as Sydney the first day and stayed there that night. Two days were spent in Sydney and early on the third morning a start was made for Batemans Bay on the South Coast. There a day was spent. Batemans Bay is a very pleasant place and most picturesque.
From Batemans Bay the party motored to Wyndham. This is a small town boasting of a big Court House. As matter of fact this Court House was really intended for Wingham in other days, not Wyndham. There is a fine police station and an office there and the chap in charge is well satisfied with everything the Government has provided him with. Just recently, it will be remembered, this Court House business came into the limelight when the "Wingham Chronicle" mentioned that plans for a Wingham Court House had got mixed up with the result that what was intended for the North Coast town had been planted in the South Coast township. Anyhow, we understand that the story is quite correct. However, it may happen that before very long Wingham will be compensated for the lost prestige in past years by getting a Court House quite in keeping with present day progress."

'Magnet' October 6, 1934


Mother Shipton lived in the latter part of the fifteenth century, in England. She was popularly supposed to be a child of the devil. When she grew to womanhood, she lived in the forest, refused to associate with other human beings and uttered her prophecies while fleeing from those who desired to make her acquaintance.
She is said to have foretold the changes that came to pass in religion - the fall of Wolsey, the death of Sir Thomas More and other Lords and Ladies who were beheaded by Henry the Eighth. Her general prophecies were put into doggerel rhyme by some unknown poet, have been handed down through four centuries. They are, moreover, as firmly believed in by the English public as prophecies of St.Columbkill, are by the Irish.
Following are some of Mother Shipton's prophecies in rhyme:-

A house of glass shall come to pass
in merry England, but, alas,
war will follow with the work
in the land of the Turk,
and State and State in fierce strife
struggle for each other's life.
Carriages without horses shall go
and accidents fill the earth with woe.
In London, Primrose Hill shall be
and the centre of a Bishop's See.
(Primrose Hill, now in the heart of London was,
in Mother Shipton's day, 12 miles out of the city.)

Around the world thought shall fly
in the twinkling of an eye;
through the hills men shall ride
and neither horse or ass astride
underwater men shall walk,
shall ride, shall sleep, shall talk,
iron in the water shall float
as easily as a wooden boat.
Gold shall be found and shown
in a land that is now unknown.
Fire and water shall wonders do
and England shall admit a Jew.
Three times three shall lovely France
be led to dance a bloody dance;
before her people shall be free
three tyrant rulers she shall see;
each sprung from a different dynasty
and when the last great fight is won
England and France shall be as one.

And now a word in uncouth rhyme
of what shall be in the latter time.
In those wonderful far off days
women shall get a strange odd craze
to dress like men and breeches wear
and cut their beautiful locks of hair
and ride astride with brazen brow
as witches do on broom sticks now.
Then love shall die and marriage cease
and babes and sucklings so decrease
that wives shall fondle cats and dogs
and men live much the same as hogs.
In eighteen hundred and sixty-nine
build your houses of rotten sticks
for then shall mighty wars be planned
and fire and swords sweep o'er the land.
But those who live the century through
in fear and trembling this will do:
fly to the mountains and the glens
to bogs and forests and wild fens:
for tempests will rage and oceans roar
and Gabrielle stand on sea and shore:
and as he toots his wondrous horn
old worlds shall die and new be born.


Few rivers have as many names as the Towamba that rises in the Big Jack Mountain and empties in to the sea at Twofold Bay. At the head of the river where it is known as 'The Rocky Hall' grow some of the finest fern trees in the Commonwealth. Here also is a great variety of bush birds and wild flowers and shrubs. It really is an unofficial sanctuary. Lower down, the stream is known as 'The Burragate' and the town here is so small that one might travel right through it without noticing it. After another short run the town of Towamba is reached and the river retains the name of Towamba till the tidal water is met and then it is known as 'The Kiah' which empties itself into Twofold Bay and there it is between two settlements, Ben Boyd and East Boyd. Had luck been with Ben Boyd instead of against him these two deserted settlements might have become cities with a harbour equal to any in the world.

Jack Hayden was a stockman employed by William Hibburd on his lease at Rocky Hall. A man of immense size and a voice to match, he was called "Big Jack" by all who knew him. It has been handed down over generations that when he was mustering Hibburd's cattle in the mountains his call could be heard for miles echoing down the valleys. The mountain derived its name "Big Jack" from this man.
Source: 'Bygone Days of Cathcart' by Laurie Plates.

'Magnet' October 27, 1934
In 1670 the House of Commons adopted a measure which reads: "All women of whatever age or rank or profession whether maids, widows or not, that shall from the passing of this Act, impose upon or betray into matrimony any of His Majesty's male subjects by scents, paints, cosmetics, high heeled shoes or bolstered hips, shall incur the law now in force against witchcraft." The Act has never been repealed but it would be a brave politician who would try to enforce it in Australia.

'Magnet' December 1, 1934
Seaweed, it is claimed, is a potent agent in restoring their lost youth to aging glands and certain tonic tablets are now available to the purchasing public. The manufacturers ascribe the value of the preparation to the fact that seaweed contains iodine. They have succeeded in making seaweed palatable and by means of these tablets, the iodine can be passed on direct by the thyroid gland into the blood stream. Those who take them will, if the claims of the makers prove fully justified, be rewarded in the possession of thicker hair, a clearer eye and skin and a "dynamic energy".

'Magnet' December 8, 1934
A Nethercote farmer has just found that a big crop of plants grown by him from cauliflower seeds, specially selected and saved from last year, will be cabbages!
There was no doubt whatever about the seed being taken from cauliflowers; there were two varieties and the seed from each was carefully gathered and labelled.
The secret of the phenomenon lay in the fact that plants from which the seeds had been taken were grown near a cabbage patch and became pollenised accordingly.

'Magnet' January 12, 1935

Not the only one.
Interest in the Tantawanglo Tiger recently reported as having been seen near Eden has been reawakened by a statement in Wednesday's Sydney papers that the skull of the 'Springdale Tiger', an animal which caused a scare out Temora way a couple of years ago, had been found and was being sent to the museum for identification.
Two years ago, a farmer while out hunting, saw a tiger-like animal attack and kill his dog and later cattle and horses were found with the flesh ripped from their bodies.
Early this week, Mr. Ben Hayman, a farmer, found in thick scrub at Combaning, near Temora, a skull nearly twelve inches long and four inches wide with two teeth an inch and a half long on the upper jaw. This is believed to be part of the same animal.
As for the Tantawanglo Tiger, it is beyond dispute that something of the kind existed, if it does not still exist, for it was seen at close quarters by reputable men on various occasions principally about Tantawanglo hence its appellation. The general belief is that the animal seen had escaped from a circus and gone bush.
From time to time the 'Magnet' has received reports of a tiger-like animal having been seen in the gullies at the back of Palestine and quite a few people are convinced that its lair is somewhere in the hills between Palestine, Jiggamy and the top of Nethercote mountain.
As it "what ever it may be" appears to have done no damage, most people will be quite content to let it remain there.

'Magnet' May 25, 1935
That he knows a tiger when he sees one is asserted stoutly by Mr. Earl Britten of Tantawanglo who also knows tiger cats well and scorns the suggestion that the animal he saw at Mount Harriet some time ago was a tiger cat. He says he had a good view of the animal in the open and has no doubt that it was a tiger.

June 29, 1935
* Reports that have reached us from outlying centres indicates that the frost that covered the landscape on Wednesday morning in last week was the heaviest for many years - for as long as fifty years some old hands consider. At Towamba, we are told, the countryside looked like a bit of old England and about Rocky Hall and Big Jack the creeks were frozen over all day.

April 4, 1936

In an article contributed to the monthly journal "Over-seas" Sir Frank Fox discussing Australia twenty-five years hence writes: "The Australian population of 1960 will, as today, be chiefly grouped around the coastal area where rainfall is abundant and the climate has no severities of heat or cold but the mistaken policy of over centralisation in great cities will have to abandoned. Rather the example of Queensland will have to be followed and a chain of sea ports linked directly with their hinterlands will have been developed. On the shores of Twofold Bay for example, a considerable city will serve as the shipping centre of the Monaro, Tableland and the Riverina."
Elsewhere the writer says, nature has given the coast and the coastal tableland what are perhaps the most pleasant climatic conditions in the whole world.

"Copper" Farrell and 'Robin' sailing over a high jump at the Bega District Show in the early 1960's.
Photo courtesy Leo Farrell.

'Magnet' June 20, 1936

The Gippsland 'Tiger' that made Briagolong famous has been caught at last and has proved to be a monster dingo which in death, measured 8 feet from nose to tail. The tail, tufted and streaked with white, was so unlike a dingo as to amply justify the many aliases that from time to time has been thrust upon the strange animal by startled residents.
After a long and unchecked career the dingo fell victim to poison laid by Mr. A. Grogan in the carcass of a sheep upon the property of Mr. H. Miller of Upper Mafra who estimates that during the last twelve months it had destroyed sheep valued at £200. Mr. Miller's property is eighteen miles from Briagolong. There is little doubt locally that the dingo is identical with the mysterious animal which has been seen often in the district.
Frequent sudden appearances of the 'tiger' has lead to wide variation in its description. It became known as the 'Mafra Leopard' and was believed to have escaped from a circus. It had been described by observers (on the run) as possibly the survivor of a vanishing race. Learned as well as flippant men discussed its vagaries.
Examination of the carcass reveals some cause for all the conjecture. The dingo's body is brightly yellow, the tail is large, bushy and white tufted. There is a vivid dorsal stripe of white and the animal's size is extraordinary.
The history of Briagolong's 'tiger' is marked not only with sheep killings but with vicious maimings and at one stage of its highly colourful life, it established a minor reign of terror among those who were obliged to travel lonely roads by night. Today these people re-tell their experiences with a liveliness of detail stimulated by the visible evidence.
The dingo is easily the largest that has been caught in the Gippsland district where farmers say it may be a new species. Experiments have yet to be made with the dingo's pads but it is considered certain that their imprints will be identical with those which have been discovered often near the scenes of sheep killings.

'Magnet' July 4, 1936
Candelo-ites were all agog last week when the news was circulated that Mr. P. Lucas had shot a large strange animal that may be identical with the often seen but never captured, Tantawanglo Tiger.

'Magnet' July 11, 1936
The 'Pambula Voice' reports that a curiosity that several people have unsuccessfully endeavoured to capture, is a white wallaby, sometimes seen in the vicinity of Kirby's and Grealey's on the Merimbula-Wolumla Road.

November 6, 1937
'The Sydney Morning Herald'

It is not only Aborigines who have queer burials at times. I have known of many unusual burials of white men in various parts of Australia.
On the shores of Wonboyn Beach, South Coast (N.S.W.), a man lies buried in a big wooden cask. His body was washed up on the little beach, and at the time it was almost impossible to transport it to the nearest cemetery, and just as difficult to get a regular coffin to the spot. The men who found the body also found a large cask that had been washed ashore from a wrecked vessel, so the cask served as a coffin.
This strange interment recalls the fact that for many years a spare coffin was to be seen at Green Cape Lighthouse, a short distance from Wonboyn Beach. When the Ly-ee-moon was wrecked there it was decided to bury the victims close to the lighthouse, and coffins were sent from Eden. One coffin too many was sent, so it was kept in reserve at the lighthouse. The little Ly-ee-moon cemetery at Green Cape is one of the most Isolated in Australia.
In Queensland a man is buried in a grave cut out of solid rock. In Sydney one of Australia's greatest statesmen is similarly buried. William Charles Wentworth expressed a wish to be laid to rest beneath the rock at Vaucluse, where he used to spend much of his leisure. The grave was cut out of the solid rock, and a fine mausoleum was erected over it.
Near Towamba (NS.W.) an old man was buried with his wheelbarrow. He had wheeled his worldly belongings about in it for many years, had used it for carrying dirt to a creek to wash for gold, and at night had used it as a breakwind when he retired. In deference to his wish, it was buried with him.
W. P. T. I

February 8, 1939

'The Queenslander'
Slow Death for Animals
Birds and animals of the bush sometimes meet tragic deaths. Near Delegate (New South Wales) a dingo was found dead in a wire fence. It had apparently attempted to either climb or jump over the fence, and in doing so got one of its hind feet twisted in the top wires. It was held in this vice-like grip with its front paws just touching the ground. Marks on the ground showed where the animal had struggled to get a grip with its front paws. It is safe to say that it would have lived for several days.
On Monaro a wallaby was found hopelessly bogged in a patch of soft ground. He had eaten all the grass within his reach, and had even eaten the roots of the grass, and then gradually got weaker. He was still alive when a boundary rider found him and put him out of his misery.
Near Moree the carcass of a kangaroo was found firmly wedged between two rocks. It was evident that the kangaroo had at tempted to jump over the crevice between the two rocks, but had misjudged the distance and fallen between them, to be held in a vice-like grip.
A farmer in the Bega (N.S.W.) district found a magpie dying-in its own nest. The bird had been building the nest or bits of wire and string, and had got one of its feet tangled in the wire, and had made itself a prisoner. The magpie would have died of starvation had it not been released by the farmer.
A swallow used some cement that a builder had been using for making its nest underneath a veranda, but had settled on the nest before the cement had set, with the result that when morning came the bird was firmly cemented to the nest.
A domestic cat was found in the bush near Towamba (N.S.W.) with its head in a salmon tin. The cat had evidently been licking the tin out, and in some way got its head fast in the tin. The cat had the tin on its head for four days at least. It was first seen late one afternoon, but it disappeared in some blackberry bushes, and could not be caught. Four days later the cat was seen again. It was still alive, but so weak that it was easily caught. Though the cat was given food and water, it died soon after it was released.
Near Bega (N.S.W.) a fox was found tangled up in monkey ropes in the bush. The fox had fallen into a small gully, and in his struggles had become hopelessly tangled up in these vines. He was almost dead when found, having practically starved to death. Cattle are frequently found tangled up in these vines, and unless they are found and released death is certain.

July 28, 1947
'Goulburn Evening Post'

Dingoes in Main Street.
* Dingoes are killing cattle right in the main streets of Towamba and Burragate. "The dingo position is much worse than most people realise," said Director J. Alcock at the regular monthly meeting of the Eden P.P. Board.

September 15, 1950
'The Sydney Morning Herald'
Haystack Or Haycock?

Sir, - The rock where the Empire Gladstone went aground is referred to in reports as "Haystack Rock."
I was born and reared amongst the Davidsons, those famous whale-men of Kiah River whaling station, Twofold Bay, Eden. These intrepid adventurers always referred to that spot as "The Haycock," where we fished for years.
Captains of coastal boats frequently explained to me the dangers of "Haycock Reef," and a nearby bombora known as "The Hunter Rock."
The reef acquired its name from the early pioneers, because the main outcrop's remarkable formation resembled a rick of hay, many dray loads of which were required in those days to build a haystack.
W. G. NOBLE. Coogee.

December 25, 1953
'The Land'

* The Towamba tiger was reported to have been seen by several people on the Towamba River, between Eden and the Victorian border.

June 5, 1954
'The World's News'

* Most country people nowadays have a great respect for the harm less platypus and give it plenty of protection. However, many have been poisoned by baits laid for rabbits. The platypus comes out of the water at night and roams about anything up to 50yds away from the water and is apt to pick up any bait, particularly a pollard bait. On a recent visit to the South Coast I discovered platypuses are increasing in numbers in the Myrtle Creek and Towamba River areas. Fortunately the law does not allow shooters to kill these animals for their skins as they did in the early days of the settlement, when it was possible to find platypus skin rugs in many country homes. A platypus skin rug today would be a museum piece.

June 19, 1954
'The Sydney Morning Herald'
Size of Whales

Sir, - A recent report ("Herald," June 12) of the capture of a 90-ton blue whale off the Queensland coast states that "the largest whale caught by Australian whalers previously was a 70-foot fin whale taken off Albany, Western Australia, last year."
This is incorrect. I was born and reared at Eden, Twofold Bay, where the Davidson family of whalemen operated for over 60 years from the days of Ben Boyd. The largest whale captured by Australian whalers was an enormous fin-back harpooned and lanced by the Davidsons at East Boyd, near the old whaling station on Kiah River. It measured 97 feet.
The huge jawbones, 27 feet long, afterwards formed an archway to the home of a retired pastoralist, the late James Logan, at Edrom, East Boyd.

September 27, 1954
'The Sydney Morning Herald'

Discovery of a human skeleton on a South Coast beach has caused police to reopen inquiries into the murder of a woman.
Mr. Justice Kinsella sentenced a man to death in 1950 for murdering Mrs. Phyllis Page, 50, a Blacktown widow.
The man, Lionel Charles Thomas, 44, later suicided in a cell at Long Bay Gaol, but Mrs. Page's body was never found.
Fishermen found the skeleton in sand late on Friday near the entrance to Lake Conjola, 120 miles south of Sydney.
Police will bring the bones to Sydney to-day for scientific examination.
A Government medical officer examined them at Wollongong and said he thought they were a woman's bones.
Mrs. Page disappeared from her home in Sunny Holt Road; Blacktown, in February, 1950.
Police searched 15,000 miles over five States before they arrested Thomas in Perth, in July, 1950.
The Crown alleged at his trial at Central Criminal Court that he had persuaded Mrs. Page to sell her property and travel with him in a panel van to Melbourne.
They had camped at Kiah bridge crossing (about 12 miles from Eden), and Mrs. Page had not been seen after the van had moved on from there early on February 20.
It was alleged that Thomas had killed Mrs. Page and thrown her weighted body into the Towamba River at the crossing.
Thomas claimed he had driven Mrs. Page to Melbourne, had seen her later in Adelaide on May 8, 1950, and had not seen her again after that.
Mr. Justice Kinsella told Thomas: "You took this unfortunate woman, with whom you professed to be in love, on a trip she thought was a trip to marriage and a new life of happiness. In fact, you were taking her to her death."
Thomas - his sentence commuted to life imprisonment suicided on September 11, 1951.
He left a note: "I again assert before God that 1 am innocent of the murder of Mrs. Page."
Police in August, 1950, spent more than a fortnight in the Eden district when searching for Mrs. Page's body.
They dragged the river at Kiah bridge crossing - the last definite clue to Mrs. Page's whereabouts was a letter which she wrote to her daughter while' camped there.
Lake Conjola is about 200 miles north of Eden, but police think it is possible that the couple doubled back to Conjola, despite official reports which last placed them together at Kiah bridge.
One police source reported seeing a van in the Lake Conjola district.

'Magnet' April 12, 1956
Oil Tankers Asked To Send Tankers To Twofold Bay
A suggestion was made at the monthly meeting of the Eden Advancement Association that petrol companies are asked to send their tankers to discharge petrol in bulk at Eden for use by people in the south-eastern portion of Australia.
The meeting was informed that petrol was 9d. cheaper in Sydney than in Eden and this was mainly due to the costly method of transport.
It was explained that it would only take a tanker an hour or two to discharge the required amount of petrol for this area and this would enable consumers to purchase petrol at a much cheaper rate.

'Magnet Voice' February 19, 1959
Kiah farmers are mystified by the appearance of a strange wild animal south of the river a few weeks ago. The beast, which was seen on the property of Mr. Jim McMahon, appeared to be about the size of a large dog with a long tail and black in colour.

Unknown newspaper fragment.
(all readable text is printed below)
Names Fail the Test of Time
Pambula, Bermagui and Mallacoota - well known townships on the South Coast whose titles, over one hundred years ago, stood in stark contrast to those which they are known by today.
A naval chart of the coastline between Montague Island and Gabo Island surveyed in 1868, reveals that many names and localities along the Sapphire Coast have not stood the test of time.
Many long-time residents of the Pambula area would probably realise that the former name of the township........
Other interesting adaptions to historic localities include the present day spelling of Bermagui which in 1868 was spelt Bermaguey and Montague Island, known then as Montagu Island has gained an "e" to make the present day spelling Montague.
The body of water at Merimbula known locally as the Back Lake was originally charted as Panbula inlet, and the Nullica River was originally charted as the Myruial River, although the small cove where the Nullica River enters Twofold Bay was originally called Nullica Bay.
.........coastal town in Victoria, Mallacoota, according to the chart, was known as Mallagoota, the 'g' replaced by a 'c'.
The chart surveyed by Navigation Lieutenant J.T.Gowlland of the Royal Navy, includes soundings of the coastline taken right out to the Continental Shelf, safe anchorages for shipping and hazards such as bombora's and rocks and the degree of swell it took them to break dangerously. The chart has come to light after being sent to the area by a descendant of Captain J.T. Nicholson, the master and owner of "Ellen", a schooner which frequented local waters.
Captain Nicholson was born at Berwick on Tweed (England) on July 18, 1820.
Another startling discovery after viewing the chart is a small town situated roughly between Mt. Imlay and Egans Peak charted as Sturt.
It is fairly obvious from its location that the village of Sturt has in actual effect become the town of Towamba.
The village of Sturt was quite large by comparison to the towns of Panbula and Merimbula, and situated adjacent to the Towamba, or Waler River as it was also known.